Fire Island App

Pride for the First Time

Sunday was the perfect beach day on Fire Island and usually nothing short of a hurricane forces the housemates and I to abandon the Pines. Well unless it is New York City Pride!  So it was that we donned our muscle tank tops, appropriate Pride jewelry, liberal sunscreen, not forgetting the designer sunglasses and caught an early ferry to [...]

Charles- citygymboys.com

Charles- citygymboys.com

Sunday was the perfect beach day on Fire Island and usually nothing short of a hurricane forces the housemates and I to abandon the Pines. Well unless it is New York City Pride!  So it was that we donned our muscle tank tops, appropriate Pride jewelry, liberal sunscreen, not forgetting the designer sunglasses and caught an early ferry to get us back to the city. Back in the city we made a brief stop by East of Eighth in Chelsea to fortify ourselves with  two Bloody Mary’s before working our way to the West Village to join the festivities.

Ladies of the Imperial Court

Ladies of the Imperial Court

When you stand in the parade throngs at NY Pride you’ll find yourself shoulder to shoulder with cute lesbians in vintage clothing, German tourists in sensible sandals with socks, shirtless muscle boys in cool Ray Bans, lesbians of a certain age wearing “Act Up” T-shirts and kids perched on their parents shoulders waving Pride Flags! And from every surrounding building gaggles of people lucky enough to have well connected friends waving flags and sloshing drinks from apartment windows, fire escapes and roof tops. In the grid locked traffic full of clueless motorists sits a Big Apple Tour Bus jammed with picture taking and waving tourists cheering on the mayhem!

Brendan

Brendan

We had only been standing in the hot sun briefly when I found myself overheating and it wasn’t from watching the drag queens make up melting as the Imperial Court float passed by at that moment. No, it was the hot, shirtless, tattooed, African American guys who make up the calendar of citygymboys.com as they walked through the crowd selling calendars. After buying a few calendars and ogling over the tattoos of the owner Charles, we turned our attention back to the Parade and watched as The Ritz bar float passed by with our favorite bartender Giovanni in tow! An hour later after cheering the GLBT Center gaggle of guys and girls we were decidedly thirsty and turned our attention to the crowds at our Mexican favorite Maracas, primarily for the best frozen Margaritas and secondly where I had arranged to meet “518″ who was the owner of the mysterious phone number that had landed in my phone after three Tanquery martinis at 1:45AM on Friday night.

Since Friday I had played a coy game of texting with the mystery man who refused to admit his name, although it’s not likely I would have remembered it after the first martini anyway.  But I did have the brilliant idea of Googling “518″ and finding it listed as an Albany area code. That’s when it came back to me that he was the cute, blonde, 20 something guy with the blue eyes that  I had met at Therapy. And to everyone’s delight and envy, not only was it his first Pride celebration but his first trip to New York City.

After two strawberry Margaritas, “518″ offered up his name and he happily accompanied our little band as we made our way to the Heritage of Pride Pier Dance at Pier 54. In my years of attending this dance I have developed a survival plan to maximize the fun of this great celebration. Primarily that involves getting there early, staking out a claim to dance floor space somewhere in the back far reaches of the Pier, preferably near a bar where you can establish a rapport with a cute volunteer bartender and then dance the night away with 5000 of your closest friends.

Much later as I held the no longer mysterious but totally awed “518″ from behind with his head resting against my chest watching the Fireworks I felt his excitement and was overcome with a sense of simple joy and pride for the Gay & Lesbian Heritage that brings us all together this moment!

43 Total TweetBacks: (Tweet this post)
  • : @IsisTheAmazon burn lmao nice one girl 02/15/11 09:49am
  • : @RebySky @IsisTheAmazon @MattHardyBrand this is my last tweet tmNoTweedsDuringDaylightallowed how ;( enjoy Night Guys PARTY, well sleep :) 02/15/11 09:45am
  • : @IsisTheAmazon Extremely sexC for a woman who can hold me over her head. Would've gave same answer even if u couldn't do that ;) 02/15/11 09:05am
  • : @IsisTheAmazon were you such an asshole all your life or is it a special occasion today? 02/15/11 08:57am
  • : @IsisTheAmazon do you have any plans to wrestle in the UK, 02/15/11 08:56am
  • : @IsisTheAmazon how is the amazonian queen at the end of valentines day. 02/15/11 08:54am
  • : @IsisTheAmazon didn't sleep yet?? :O love u! 02/15/11 08:53am
  • : Learn English homie before you try to insult me. I've been had facebook, but it's private. If you'd like to (cont) http://tl.gd/8rd8sc 02/15/11 08:52am
  • : @IsisTheAmazon LOL I was just asking why you don't come back on Facebook. I dont care a fuck wheter u give a fuck abt anything else. 02/15/11 08:48am
  • : @RebySky shooooooot I'm cutting promos on fans via twitter.. I feel like @ShaneHelmsCom Lmfao ;) Jk Shane!! 02/15/11 08:42am
  • : @IsisTheAmazon How was your day? 02/15/11 08:31am
  • : Yessssssssssssssssss girl do that! @RebySky: Oh snap. Drunk me tonight needs to keep my mouth shut for the sake (cont) http://tl.gd/8rcu25 02/15/11 08:27am
  • en: @frankiebologna Looking good. blueberry muffins? or lil' chocolate? Think i'mma start a business in muffins, and donuts. 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: The electricity consumption of entire country of Finland at the moment is 8457 MW, or 1602 W/person. 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: @XsMightyStaff i meant if it was chocolate or vanilla. lol 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: Trying to decided: Should we go to the Bristol White Sox game, NHRA Jr. Drags or Concerts & Movies in the Park tonight? 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: Run away or leave a note on the windshield? http://short.to/izvy 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: when you call someone who's mobile answers in their pocket unexpectantly. Do you listen to their conversation or hang up? #fb 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: @sam_jonah when I first logged in, it said something like "no current tweeteviews" or something similar... I did feel like that was the ... 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: Ever Done a cover of a CG'z song or if you havent heres ur chance! We're looking for 10 awesome covers! more here: www.cgzfan.webs.com 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: It's Thursday afternoon, the Boss is 300 miles away and MSN won't launch. I'm going to have to fill the time doing work or something. 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: @nasyaw mochi or cookiecrips! Hah kevin pake shampomu? 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: @monicakozak ahhhh, it's only cause our social media captain has charted a course for us to follow. next stop, aruba or st. marten? 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: @NinaBrown OR about skipping out on bet awards because she didn't want to pay for her own flight and hotel. and her new song with kandi 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: @JEsoul What Did You Decide To Do? Or Was The Question You Asked Just A Question For No Action? 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: Get 300 followers a day. Once you add everyone you are on the train or pay vip http://tinyurl.com/lg62z2 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: @bartoni09 been in hulme for last 18 months or so, most likely be moving in september though... 07/09/09 06:02pm
  • en: On house arrest. Okay so maybe I exaggerate a bit...or a lot. But it still sucks not being able to go out. 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: Watching @amandadiva on VH1 right now. What's up with a new episode of Diva Diva Y'all or Diva Speak TV??? 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: @IdeasCulture Do u guys have pedicabs there? Stick sign on them "I'm going to fed sq for lunch!" or "Meet u at fed sq 4 drink?" 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: @nizarlalani Was that a request or a demand? Could go both ways. 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: @lukemckay I've still got my fingers crossed for a more-or-less permanent playlist consisting solely of community maps. 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: @pixiekat will you have Internet or going cold turkey? 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: and if you think im talking about you your probably wrong. or maybe your right. but if your that certain person STOP IT YOUR ANNOYING ME 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: nope must've been a glitch or something...aww well 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: @wallacewells apparently! craazay.. you girls should try to take over the world! (or maybe just the internet) 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: @AffirmingSpirit; thanks for that advice, I am doing what you did 12/08 and, as yet have no pix or icon available. Norm (aka warriorhawk) 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: I really don't think Ive ever missed being a little kid more. I miss not having any responsibilities or anything! Summer used to rule!! 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: @felix_morariu Cools thanks man. Any constructive criticisms or things to improve on? 07/09/09 06:02am
  • en: Wondering if I should risk firing up the grill, or will it rain on me? 07/09/09 06:02am
  • nl: @stunned_beef or else what? :-P 07/09/09 06:01am
  • en: @_CINNA_ dat wud be awesome..I think it was metrobus? Or something like dat 07/09/09 06:01am
  • en: @StephInStL Are you referring to your Internet modem? If so you can buy them from us or at any electronics outlet. 07/09/09 06:01am

Leave Your Response